Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Sewing Machine Day





When : June 13th and September 10th

Sewing Machine Day celebrates a very important invention ----- the sewing machine. The first sewing machines were made in France in the 1830s. It wasn't until 1846, that they were patented in the U.S. What a great invention. Prior to it's creation, clothes items were sewn together by hand...stitch by stitch.

People who know how to use a sewing machine are dwindling in number. Our mothers and grandmothers had a sewing machine in the house. They used it, too. But, look around your house. Do you have a sewing machine? Chance are, the answers is no.

If you have a sewing machine, enjoy today making things with it. If not, consider picking up sewing as a hobby.

per Holiday Insights Web Site:   Sewing Machine Day

3 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

I love my sewing machine, it's my most precious possession! My 'grab it if there's a fire' choice.

http://thankfullga447 said...

Love the photo, it is precious. I am suppose to get ready for a garage sale and I am making mug rugs and pin cushions. If I miss days of sewing I get grouchy.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I never heard of sewing machine day, but I do my part. I have six sewing machines, and I love each and every one of them for different reasons!

LinkWithin